Skip to content
woman pointing at a vertebrae on a plastic model of a spine

Bulging Disc/Disc Herniation at
Central Connecticut Chiropractic

At Central Connecticut Chiropractic, Dr. Luigi DiRubba has helped many in Cheshire and surrounding communities who suffered from a bulging disc/disc herniation.

Widely respected for his expertise in bulging discs, Dr. DiRubba is honored to be recommended by his peers and patients he has cared for.

Frequently Asked Questions

What exactly is a disc in the spine?

Spinal discs are layers of cartilage that are located in between the spine’s vertebrae. They act as cushions for the vertebrae. Discs are composed of two layers of cartilage: a tougher, outer layer that encases a softer, inner layer.

What is the difference between herniated discs and bulging discs?

A herniated disc is a disc that has a crack in its outer layer of cartilage. The soft, inner layer of cartilage is able to seep through this crack and protrude out of the disc. Herniated discs are often painful. Herniated discs are also known as slipped or ruptured discs.

A bulging disc is a disc that bulges out of the space it normally occupies. The layer that protrudes, however, is the outer, tough cartilage. In a bulging disc, this layer isn’t cracked, so the inner, soft layer doesn’t seep out. Bulging discs are more common than herniated discs, but bulging discs usually aren’t painful.

What treatments are available for a bulging disc?

There are several ways to treat a bulging disc. In many cases, patients simply need to avoid lifting heavy items, rest for a little while, and make lifestyle changes, such as losing weight. When these basic treatments aren’t enough, a health care provider might recommend:

In severe cases, patients may need an epidural steroid injection, pain medication, or surgical procedure. Most of the time, however, the more conservative and natural treatments mentioned above are effective.

Who provides treatments for bulging discs?

Patients who need an epidural steroid, prescription medication, or surgery should see a medical doctor for treatment. Patients who want to explore the less invasive treatments that are available may want to go to a chiropractor. While medical doctors, chiropractors, and physical therapists are all able to recommend lifestyle changes, stretches, and exercises and chiropractic treatments are usually performed by a chiropractor.

Get Started Today

If you have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment, contact Central Connecticut Chiropractic today!

Bulging Disc/Disc Herniation Care Cheshire, Wallingford & Southington CT | (203) 272-3239